- Sit in a comfortable position
- Extend your right arm, with your palm up, close your index and middle finger and then bring your hand up to your nose placing the thumb lightly without too much pressure over your right nostril and your ring finger lightly over the left nostril. You can hold your elbow for support.
- Exhale through both nostrils to start.
- Then cover right and slowly and evenly exhale through the left nostril. Inhale through the left nostril, then cover left, exhale through the right.
- Inhale through the right, cover right, exhale left.
- Inhale left, cover left, exhale right.
When you get into the rhythm you can begin to count the length of your exhalation and inhalation, taking a moment to pause briefly at the top of your inhale and the end of your exhale. Complete a few rounds in your own time continuing to focus on the breath. Then allow your breath to return to its natural rhythm.
This technique is great to begin your day, even before you get out of bed. The right side is more energizing and the left is calming. So you could try breathing more on the left side when you need calming or on the right side if you need a pick me up.